Tuesday, November 22, 2011

The Power in Journaling

Just because you don't have the support you need for meeting your goals, does not mean that you won't reach them. I have learned to be my own support system. You can too. As an educator, I utilize journaling for many reasons in many situations. To help meet either weightloss goals or just goals you have for living, I find it helpful to support yourself by keeping a journal. You can write down your thoughts ina a variety of creative ways, try a poem or short story.

I lost the most weight when I journaled about it.  I used a journal to keep track of progress on a weekly or daily basis. It serves as a good visual and helps you clearly see just how far you’ve come or digressed. Journally affords you the opportunity to look back to past entries where you recorded successes and use it as motivation for a really stressful week. Of course, some weeks will be good and some weeks will be a little bit harder this is simply a part of life. Keeping a journal of yor success, failures, ups and downs, feelings and emotions, and aspects of your daily life, you’ll be able to see an overall trend of progression. It will help you realize which goals have been met, which people in you need to let go, what works and what doesn't.

It will also afford you the opportunity to look at workouts and food choices that worked best for you and which ones didn’t. Record everything from your weight or inches lost to thoughts about how your body feels after a particularly difficult workout. Record the days you feel bloated and tight all over, the days you feel stressed as well as its source. Write down the scriptures you read and what you prayed for. Don't forget to record the day your prayers were answered. It feels great to re-read those joyous times and reminds you to give God praise again.

After I created the process for breathing, relaxation and praising in my “letting go” process.  I also began to jouranl.  I took my deepest thoughts and feelings about the things I agonized over.  I journaled about my childhood, a traumatic event that occurred 16, the time my cousin burnt our house down when I was 15.  We literally had nothing but the clothes on our backs.  We had no place to lay our head. I wrote about my absentee father, my strong desire to be loved because of it.  I journaled about the choices I made, the good ones and the bad ones.  I wrote the people I loved and those that got on my last nerve.  I wrote about every important event and every important person who crossed the paths in my mind. 
I evaluated my own strengths and weaknesses as a servant, a person, a woman, a wife-exwife, a mother, a friend, a sister, and an employee.  I turned myself inside out in my notebook.  The result were my two poetry book, The Purple Rose and She Speaks Psalms.  You see, I didn’t write those for the public eye, I wrote those as a woman whose heart was bleeding and who was able to humble herself to The Most High and let him heal me.  A friend read my journals and suggested I organize my writing and have it published.  I decided to put the entries into poetry format so I took a poetry class.   The publisher looked at my manuscript and suggested it be published in to books instead of one. 
As I wrote, I  tied my  topics  to my relationships with others, including parents, lovers, friends or relatives; to my  past, my present and my future; or to who I  have been, who I  would like to be.   I didn’t worry about spelling, grammar or sentence structure. I continued my journaling  until the time was up.  My heart knew when that time was.  I highly recommend journaling as a way to redirect yourself and tap into the power that God put within you.  There are stories that lie there that can help others.   
Consistent journaling is a great motivator and will make goals much more attainable while helping to ensure your ultimate success. Journaling affords you a perfect venue to support yourself in whatever it is that you are going through, in letting go a hurt,in weight loss,  in recovering from a sickness or even death of someone close to you. Experts say that journaling about traumatic, stressful and emotional times in life has resulted in improvements in both physical and psychological health over time in may instances.  
Your thoughts matter, your experiences are real and can help someone else.  Start your journal today and see where it leads you. 

No comments:

Post a Comment