Monday, November 28, 2011

I want to Live Longer Than They Did!

A few years ago,  I was depressed by the fact that I am almost the oldest living relative on my mother’s side of the family. I can now claim to be one of the elders. Amazing! I never thought this day would come. The thought of it caused me great anxiety. I always knew that my elder family lived on diets that would kill a horse. I never really fathomed the day that their diets and unhealthy lifestyles would cause me to be a family elder knocking on the doors of the age of 54.

I was already conscious of diet and health, since I have spent my tenure as wife and mother trying hard to make sure my family ate properly. I consciously explained to my children issues of health including committing to God, prayer, praise, immunizations and preventive health care utilizing tools such as herbal, vitamin, and mineral supplements. I can say of a surety that I taught my children how to take care of themselves. I have consciously given them the information and tools they need to live longer than my elders. However, I, like many women neglected to spend enough time and energy taking care of myself.  On my 49th birthday, I made a commitment to myself and to my grandchildren, who are unborn to do better in this regard.

Metabolism is the amount of energy your body burns to maintain itself and function from moment to moment and day to day. The body burns this energy in the form of calories whether you are eating, reading, sleeping, performing household chores, or walking. The amount of muscle in the body compared to its amount of fat determines a person’s metabolism. The muscle in the body requires more calories for maintenance than fat. Therefore, a person who has more fat than muscle has a lower metabolism. My lifestyle had no allowances of regular exercise. Very often I forgot to eat when it was time to eat, even though the children ate on time. While they were eating, I was often busying performing other household or business tasks. I called myself using my time wisely.

Thus, when nighttime feel upon me, the children were in bed, my books were put away, and the work for the day done, I finally thought about eating. Some nights I would be so famished, I could not be satisfied. My cells were unnourished and functioning improperly. I began to see the same signs of an unhealthy body in which my elder relatives experience before their bodies literally shut down.  I looked in the mirror one day and wondered, who that robust women, who was a a hefty size 26 looking at me in the mirror.  I wanted to teach my grandchildren how to read, so they could learn what it takes for salvation.  I knew I wouldn't have this honorable pleasure if I didn't do something and do something fast.  So, I committed to a different and healthier lifestyle. I began to put the knowledge I have imparted on others to practice. I started by doing what I needed to do to loose get my metabolism moving so I could lose weight.  I got out more, I helped others in need, and I made occassions to laugh with old friends.  I made a committment to myself to eat better, move more, and laugh.  Today, I feel so good both emotionally and physically. 

Take out you journal.  What is it that you need to change in your life?  Do you need to lose weight? Stop smoking? Go back to school for certification or a degree?  Get out from in front of the TV, my mother used to call an idiot box.   Spend time with your children.  What?  How can you change it?  What do you think you need to do first?  What are your next steps?  What is your ultimate goal?  What resources do you need?  Who can you ask for help?  Who can hold you accountable?  What is your action plan?  When will you start?  What is your timeline?  Write your plan.  Pray over it.   Now work your plan.  Be sure to write it down and keep track of your progress.

No comments:

Post a Comment